* * *




"No one's striving to be Miles Davis. Everybody's striving to get paid. And, you know, I wanna be like Miles Davis."
~Meshell Ndegeocello


order dance of the infidel

click for all things meshell


reading...
life on the color line: the true story of a white boy who discovered he was black by gregory howard williams

recently finished...
anagrams by lorrie moore

the dew breaker by edwidge danticat
(thanks, deshi!)

the mysteries of pittsburgh by michael chabon

she's not there: a life in two genders by jennifer finney boylan

venture...
all about george
anziblog
bgb.com
the brotherlove
btrfly_locs
the desh in me
ej flavors
kevin.daily
lynne d johnson
naya hri
NegroPlease
nubian soul
on a path
pheline
sister outsider
prime time
small hands
studpoet.com
that bitch



 
Archives
<< current


 
i am: 40...a capricorn / moon in pisces / libra rising...an old soul with a young spirit...older than i look...contemplating my 3rd tattoo...NOT a web designer...a lesbian...working things out with the g.f....a native iowan...a graduate of cornell college and ohio state...a critical reader and thinker...really rather shy...agnostic...an ardent feminist...a bleeding-heart liberal...a pacifist...and so not your average white grrl...

e-mail me


feeling generous? *grin*





Who Links Here


an esoteric soul
 
November 13, 2001  

a travel agent for guilt trips

okay, so it's been a week, and i still haven't talked to my mother. i still don't feel ready...i feel like i need to talk to my therapist first, and she is still trying to fit me into her schedule. i also don't want to say anything that i don't want to say...anything that i can't take back, but that i'm still feeling and still liable to say at this point.

meanwhile, my mother has left 3 messages on my answering machine:

1) the first was almost a week ago...saying that she was sorry for causing such grief in her daughters' lives and that she wanted to talk, but understood if i wasn't ready. okay...i was cool with that.

2) a few days later, in her second message, she said that she is forgiven...by god...and she hopes that i can forgive her too. but see..."god" didn't learn about all this 32+ years after the fact. and then there's her assumption that because god has forgiven her, all is well, and there is no need for her to "make it right" with the people she hurt by doing the things she did (cheating, lying, etc.). to give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe that's what she's trying to do with all these phone calls...but she's laying a simultaneous guilt trip on me...so how exactly is that "making it right" with me? this burns me up.

3) in her third message, yesterday, she said that with everything going on with the war, she "can't handle" being at war with her children.

*sigh*

which means, in her eyes, it's still all about HER...what SHE can or cannot handle. it's (presumably) less important to her what her children may or may not be able to handle (e.g., the fact that i "can't handle" talking to her right now). but it's been all about what SHE couldn't handle (e.g., revealing the truth) for the last 32+ years. i think it's our turn.

as my sweetheart (very wisely) said to me yesterday, no one can send you on a guilt trip unless you let them. and i know this...i really do. but my problem is, refusing to allow my mother send me on a guilt trip (for not returning her calls, for responding to the revelation about my sister in a way that she apparently "can't handle) means, for me, the negation of more than 30 years of learned behavior. she has used guilt tripping against me almost my entire life. she's good at it, and she knows it. to her, it's perfectly normal, acceptable behavior, and I'M the bad one for not succumbing.

right now...?? i just can't give in to her.

i also had to talk to my father last night, without being able to talk about this...because he doesn't know that i know. i really believe that my sister needs to talk to him. maybe they have a chance at a decent relationship if they eliminate the LIE from it...if they let all the artificiality of that relationship fall away, and just appreciate each other for the people they are. i hope so. whatever the case, i'm going to encourage my sister to talk to him. i feel like i need to talk to him, too, and i can't until she does.
2:13 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
 
This page is powered by Blogger.